Careers at GIA India
Job Title : Laboratory Assistant, Surat (Evening Shift)
Department: Weights & Measures, Inscription, Inventory Control,Report Services, Exportand Transport
Level: L2 Reports to: Supervisor
Job Role: Perform assigned pre/post grading production processes of Lab Weights & Measures, Lab Inscription, Lab Inventory Control, Lab Report Services and Lab Transport required to complete the production workflow
Perform any of the following or other duties as assigned to meet quality and production goals
- Lab Weights & Measures
Measure stone weight and other required data; prepare each stone for subsequent processes in accordance with procedures and requirements using relevant data
- Perform inweigh and operate cleaning station
- Perform screening, label printing, and/or measure ultraviolet fluorescence
- Prepare casetting of stones
- Lab Inscription
Perform the requested Inscription Service per required procedures and requirements
- Operate inscription device
- Perform inscription support activities if assigned (e.g. inking, cleaning, sending/receiving, verifying inscription, etc.)
- Lab Inventory Control
Facilitate and distribute stones among assigned lab production functions as instructed Store stones for next process step in the system and physical location appropriately; facilitate easy retrieval through efficient storage in accordance with required processes
- File/Pull from the Wall, distribute stones to organize workflow
- Perform Mini-IC Opening and Closing processes if applicable
- Lab Report Services
Prepare Reports for clients after requested services have been completed (e.g. folding, enclosing reports in sleeves, proofreading, etc.)
Checking printing errors & overall quality of lamination and cutting.Ensure stones / diamonds are sent & received in timely manner.File & pull stones for the next process step.Match reports to stones pulled from the shelf of stones.Make stones ready for return.
- Lab Transport
Receive incoming stone shipments from clients if applicable Prepare stones for shipment/delivery after service completion
- Perform item intake process (courier shipments) if applicable
- Receive, sort and organize stones in accordance with the procedures if applicable Perform outweigh and box/pack stones in preparation for delivery to clients
- Lab Export
- Receive Stones from Weights & Measures/ Inventory Control.
- De-casseting of stones.
- Scan the stones in spectrum and generate inter-site.
- Counting and packing of stones for export.
- Filing of documents.
Typically require High School Diploma. No previous experience required
Description of Success Factors:
Basic knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
Ability to learn and understand GIA proprietary systems (Spectrum, Searchlight, etc.)
Ability to learn and understand key GIA people and their roles in production functions
Ability to learn, understand and follow functional department Standard Operating Procedures
Familiarity with Lab production workflows
Basic understanding of GIA policies and procedures
Basic problem-solving skills: Understand when there is a problem and escalate as required; follow procedures to solve routine and often repetitive issues.
Sound communication skills in reading, writing and speaking clearly and ability to read and comprehend English (Spectrum, training in English)
Ability to communicate professionally (communicate respectfully, listen, articulate/explain issues, use professional tone, know when to email vs call, etc.)
Detail oriented / Ability to focus and complete tasks assigned in a timely manner
Ability to learn and use production equipment to perform the job assigned (tweezers, scales, stone-holder, microscope, etc.) and basic office equipment
Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively
Interpersonal skills: Ability to create positive interactions with colleagues; actively communicate with others in a timely & professional manner; maintain good working relationship with others and peers
Job Title : Trainee - Diamond Grader, Surat (Evening Shift)
Department: Diamond Grading Reports to: Supervisor
Perform the summative evaluation of diamonds in accordance with the International Diamond Grading System and document identifying features required for theinitial draft of GIA Diamond Grading Reports
Perform the following and other duties assigned to meet production goals (quality & quantity)
- Evaluate a diamond anddetermine the initial clarity, polish and symmetry grades in accordance with GIA standards
- Follow standard grading methodology and examination techniques to evaluate a diamond using proper tools and devices (i.e. microscope, loupe, tweezers, etc.)
- Apply basic knowledge of GIA policies and procedures to identify characteristics present in the diamond, and electronically map observations onto a diagram by using GIA’s proprietary systems
- Learn to interpret and follow documentation policies and procedures to efficiently represent characteristics and treatments present in the diamond by using GIA’s proprietary systems
- Participate in ongoing professional training and testing for continuous grading development
- Perform other duties as assigned or perbusiness needs
Any Graduate Bachelor’s degree
Description of Success Factors::
“Personal accountability: learn and improve performance; take personal responsibility for decisions, actions & outcomes
Technical knowledge: ability to learn, retain and apply grading knowledge (includes receiving and applying feedback from mentors/more experienced staff)
Service mindset: drive and motivation to meet production and quality requirements
Decision quality/Problem solving: ability to identify issues; know how to escalate an issue or to ask for guidance
Analytical skills: learn to apply analytical thinking and deductive reasoning to daily work; ability to learn to articulate the issues/reasoning to reach the initial evaluation of diamonds
Visual perception (being able to make sense of what you see), depth perception, understanding of spatial relationship –ability to map a 3-Dimensional object into 2-D diagram with accuracy
Ability to use gemological equipment (microscope and loupe) to evaluate the diamond, and hand-held tools (tweezers, stone holder) to manipulate diamonds
Ability to read, comprehend and follow standard procedures or instruction (proficiency in reading, writing and speaking in English required)
Communication Skills: Ability to communicate professionally and collaborate with a diverse group of individuals -actively listen and communicate with others in a timely & professional manner; ask questions, receive and apply feedback; proactively participate in training discussions
Sound skills in computer software (MS Office)
Ability to work in close physical proximity with other staff, while utilizing shared equipment.
Detail oriented -ability to produce accurate detailed work and documentation
Ability to work independently in a production-oriented laboratory environment
Interpersonal skills: Ability to create positive interactions with colleagues and a team; actively communicate with others in a timely & professional manner; maintain good working relationship with others and peers
Time management skills: approach work in an organized and systematic manner”
Job Title : Application Support Analyst
Department: IT Reports to: Sr. Manager – Infrastructure Services
Responsible for developing, administering and supporting application solutions that are robust, scalable, reusable, and maintainable. Adheres to software development standards in coding and change management of application system life cycle management using Agile and Waterfall methodologies.
- Code, test, implement, and assist in the design of in‐house software applications to meet both functional and technical requirements.
- Administer Application System for high availability and ensure the protection of enterprise data using backup and restore skills.
- Develop solutions geared towards high performance and loosely coupled services.
- Ensure quality and ease of deployment by writing thorough unit, integration, and end‐to‐end tests.
- Refactor and maintain high standards for the code base.
- Ensure the consistency and maintainability of existing applications by creating and maintaining standards/procedures for implementing technical solutions.
- Review support requests and identify opportunities for preventing common issues.
- Periodically evaluate code and systems for potential improvements and offer automation and tools that can be integrated into existing systems and new initiatives.
- Participate in Agile ceremonies such as daily stand ups, sprint reviews, and retrospectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related field and 3+ years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Building front end or back end systems.
- Experience with version control systems like GItHub, DevOps, continuous delivery, and continuous integration practices.
- Experience with Agile development practices, such as Scrum and Extreme Programming.
- Knowledge of core Microsoft .Net Development Platform is must.
- Experience with SQL and PL/SQL for developing Application Packages.
- Experience with the Administration of MSSQL Server 2008 and above environment is must
Description of Success Factors:
- Flexibility: Flexible to work in 24 X 7 environment
- Problem solving: Identify potential problems, articulate/classify issues and able to determine next steps by referencing existing policies and procedures; apply sound analytical and reasoning skills during the
problem‐solving process; analyze the data gathered and reach a solution or provide a summary for a management decision when required.
- Service oriented: Self‐motivated to meet and exceed customer needs.
- Communication skills: Ability to communicate professionally and collaborate with a diverse group of professionals as well as senior leadership; provide constructive feedback to less experienced staff;
proactively seek guidance and feedback from others or more experienced team members (actively listen and communicate with others in a timely & professional manner). Ability to effectively present technical information.
- Time‐management skills: Approaches work in an organized and systematic manner. Plans work and time effectively to manage conflicting or shifting priorities and achieve goals aligned with the business needs.
- Mentoring skills: Shares and transfers technical knowledge locally and globally when able
- Teamwork: Ability to work effectively individually or in a group setting
- Interpersonal skills: Ability to create positive interactions with colleagues and a team; actively communicate with others, including management, in a timely & professional manner; maintain a collaborative working relationship with others and peers to improve the team performance. Ability to deal effectively with a variety of personalities to establish and maintain effective working relationships with global IT Teams.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty
- Keep up to date with current trends in computing, application architecture, and cloud computing services.
- Advanced knowledge of object‐oriented design patterns, application architecture patterns, and application integration patterns. Knowledge of both relational and non‐relational (NoSQL) databases.
- Strong computer skills utilizing software such as Microsoft Office Suite, e.g., MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint; and e‐mail.
- Knowledge of Help Desk System workflow and Reporting.
Job Title : Assistant Security Officer / Security Officer
Department: Security Reports to: Manager-Security
Ensure effective safety, security and emergency response by referring given procedures and directions by superiors and by reporting all abnormalities to all concern taking adequate immediate actions.
Physical Security Operations – 40%
- Conducts periodic walking patrols of the facility/premises and designated parking lot(s) as directed by superiors and reports discrepancies.
- Follows all security procedures as directed and complies with all uniform and plain clothes assignments related to the job.
- Assists or escorts, visitors, vendors or clients to/within facility/premises as needed.
- Assists or escorts, housekeeping cleaners for trash handling and storage.
- Monitors and reports any discrepancies of activity viewed on surveillance equipment as needed.
- Maintains safety and security related equipment, procedures and facilities.
Emergency Response Preparedness – 30%
- Maintain thorough knowledge of ‘site emergency response plan’ (GIA and TC-Building) and implement it during emergency situations and mock-drills to ensure life-safety & protection of assets
- Quick & prompt response in all emergency situations (in accordance to SOPs)
- Prompt first-aid assistance to staff & visitors.
- Successfully complete all scheduled safety & first-aid training program.
- Follows and implements all guidelines received from RJC.
EHS – 30%
- Reports all abnormalities, incidents in respect of environment, health & safety promptly and takes immediate actions as per SOP and/or as directed by superiors.
- Follows all safety & health procedures as directed and complies with all assignments related to the job.
- 12th Standard
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience in handling safety & security operations.
- Preferred B & C certificate of NCC
Description of Success Factors:
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies and procedures to safeguard people, data and property
- Relevant knowhow of electronic security systems and exposure in responding to emergency situations.
- Experience in handling and resolving emergency incidents
- Knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Good written and verbal communication (English preferred)
- Active Listening
- Customer service orientation
- Alertness and attentiveness
- Person with high energy levels and initiative
- Exceptional time management and co-ordination skills.
- Responsible and trustworthy
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly
- Ability and willingness to work under pressure
Job Title : Supervisor - Pre/Post Grading, Surat (Evening Shift)
Department: Pre/Post Grading Level: L6 Reports to: Manager
Job Role: This is the first leadership role, responsible for day-to-day operational production management of assigned pre/post grading team in order to meet production goals (quantity and quality)
- Manage and perform the following and other duties assigned to meet the team’s operational and production goals:
- Manage team’s operational production work flow amongst the different duties performed by team members to meet the daily production goals (quantity and quality) including cross-functional production work coordination (i.e. all pre/post grading job families, coordinating with planning team and grading team on stone distribution plan; IC team to monitor expected intakes, inventory levels and outputs throughout the lab to manage daily production for achieving the lab daily production plan, etc.)
- Manage resources required (i.e. equipment/devices, staff’s work schedules, etc.) to maximize daily productivity and operational efficiency
- Monitor and carry out daily functional work of the team, i.e. time and labor related work, breaks, scheduled and un-scheduled absences, overtime if needed, etc.
- Provide feedback, coach, engage, motivate and support team members on an ongoing basis including setting up individual development plan (IDP) for staff member’s professional development, meeting the team regularly to review team production status and identify any issues or areas for improvement, etc.
- Coordinate and communicate any update from the Lab Management to the team members including any changes or updates in policies and procedures related to lab operations including customer service/service demands or the entire organization
- Initiate and deliver the performance evaluation of the assigned team members including goal setting and writing detailed comments to support the rating given, in accordance with the HR process. (Note to file: managers will review the Performance Review completed by Supervisors before all reviews go for HR review)
- May be required to participate in the hiring process, provide input for progressive discipline; may deliver disciplinary actions with a manager; make recommendations for termination
- May be required to work with the respective departments to ensure that the team’s orientation and training seminars/events arranged from time-to-time in accordance with the work plan; identify areas of improvement/ development for staff and provide appropriate plan or approach the management with a proposed development/training plan if needed
- Be able to resolve non-routine or complex issues by using sound technical and problem solving skills or escalate issues to the appropriate person when necessary
- Build strong collaborative relationships and team environment to deliver the team’s goals (the collaborative relationship extends across all functions of the lab)
- Identify and prioritize key issues, risks and opportunities for the creation of action plans with solutions or proposals for Lab Management’s approval. (i.e. specific device technical issues, process flow issues, client feedback, etc.)
- Practice and improve technical skills required throughout the pre/post grading process in order to lead and enable the team to meet their production targets (quality and quantity)
- Be responsible for the team’s service quality, i.e. monitor data and ensure that the work doby the team members is consistent, accurate and follows Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Proactively participate in and provide recommendations for improvement of the Lab’s operational processes and systems
- May be required to support global lab activities, i.e. travel to domestic and/or International locations, participate in educational opportunities; read professional publications and remain informed of industry developments
- Perform other duties as needed or per business needs
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in handling teams.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience.
Description of Success Factors:
- Accountability: Demonstrate personal initiative, focus and drive for continuous improvement; hold self and team members accountable to meet commitments and delivery goals in a timely manner
- Technical Knowledge: Achieve the necessary position-related technical and professional skills or knowledge to support a proper business decision during the production process. Keep up with current technology and trends in area of expertise in order to perform this leadership role
- Service Mindset: Drive and motivate the team to achieve the production targets; build strong business relationships with team members and cross-functions and deliver customer-centric solutions
- Mentoring Skills: Plan and support the development of team members’ professional knowledge, skills & abilities to build capacity and drive organizational effectiveness. Build strong teams through valuing, leveraging & maximizing diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
- Drive Engagement: Create a culture where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives (sound ability to develop and motivate staff, i.e. strong relationship building skills and engagement with approachable demeanor)
- Drive for Results: Set clear goals for personal and group accomplishment and use measurement methods to monitor progress toward goals, i.e. creating and identifying metrics as effective tools to manage the communication and staff/team performance. Maintain a focus on continuous improvement and staff development by providing constructive feedback.
- Decision quality/problem solving skills: Sound ability to identify the root causes of the specific problems occurred during the production process and use data for further analyzing and quantifying the issues in order to making appropriate, timely decisions and sound resolutions or propose solutions to the management if needed
- Communication Skills: Develop and deliver multi-mode communication thatconveys a clear understanding of the specific needs of team members or other audiences; clear and concise verbal and written communication delivered with confidence and the style of the receiver in mind
- Collaboration skills: Ability to work with good coordination and teamwork with all levels (up/down and lateral); develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of team’s work goals. Gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, transparency and authenticity
- Ability to manage conflict and resolve it harmoniously and productively to minimize impact and maximize outcomes; ability to express opposing views in a non-confrontational manner.
Job Title : Instructor - Gemology
Department: Education Reports to: Director Education
Job Role: Ensure best student experience.
Apart from handling chief responsibility of delivering GIA education, Instructor should assume responsibilities for continuous professional development & take care of additional responsibility assigned by Director.
- Conduct Gemology class as per GIA curriculum
- Conduct classes / seminars assigned as per guidelines
- Prepare regularly & well for classes assigned
- Display effective class management skills
- Create ideal learning environment in class
- Maintain professional standards
- Maintain and foster sensitivity and respect for a culturally diverse classroom environment
- Timely completion of administrative class management responsibilities.
- Counsel students on academic performance & improvement areas
- Address student concerns and attend to them promptly & Effectively.
- Manage student evaluation & student engagement; share recommendation for improvement.
- Proctors tests: receives, corrects, and processes assignments
- Submits required class documents in a timely and complete manner
- Submits final student grades & reports as per schedule
- Manage class setup
- Responsible handling of equipment’s, stones & materials
- Plan diligently for class readiness with timelines
- Participate actively & contribute in Education meetings and events
- Work on identifying new areas of content requirement as per Industry/Student feedback and communicate to Director
- Stay updated with industry trends & share recommendation
- To travel extensively within India and outside to conduct GIA classes
- Manage Off-Campus classes as per guidelines and in close coordination with Operations & Admission office
- Interface with Director & all stakeholders
- Communicates effectively, gets along with co-workers and management, and deals with stakeholders effectively and professionally under pressure
- Ensure updates / professional development on an ongoing basis
- Assume additional responsibility assigned & deliver per needs
- Ensure on-time reporting
- Graduate (Any Discipline)
- Gemology Graduate from GIA.
- Relevant work experience of 1 to 3 years
Description of Success Factors:
- In-depth Knowledge of Diamonds & Gemstones (along-with equipment’s used for identification in classroom environment) a must
- Good understanding of the jewellery industry
- Strong Communication Skill
- Effective Presentation skills
- Student / Class management skills
- Ability to effectively present course material and provide answers and feedback to students
- Ability to demonstrate a command of theory and contemporary knowledge, and continuing study in field
- Ability to effectively interface with staff and students
- Ability to plan & organize
- Ability to create an effective learning environment
Why Work at GIA?
Working at GIA means you can express your passion for gemstones and make a difference. GIA employs more than 3,000 people around the world. Some are educators who are committed to teaching. The rest are highly skilled professionals representing almost every aspect of the business world. This diverse and highly talented group works as a team to fulfill the Institute's mission to protect the public by setting and maintaining universal standards for gemstone evaluation.
Couldn’t find what you are looking for? Send us your CV at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will revert whenever there’s a suitable opening!
We welcome you to explore your career path in GIA!
• Applicants and new hires are subject to background checks as per the company policy, this will include reference checks, address, education verification, police verification and work history verification.
• GIA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age, disability, or veteran’s status.
• Please review our current available positions. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive daily, we regret that we cannot personally contact every applicant. Candidates whose experience closely matches our qualification requirements will be contacted by GIA's Human Resources department and invited for an interview.
Thank you for your interest.