- 05 Apr
Department: Maintenance Reports to: Director, Laboratory Support Services (CA) with dotted line to Director, Research & Development / NY Identification Services
Job Role: Improves methods for analysis of gemological measurement equipment to increase the quality of data; and/or develops new measuring instruments; and implements the change process throughout the GIA laboratories globally, by performing the essential duties.
- Interacts with external vendors, as well as internal customers in quality control, process development, research laboratories and senior management to do the following:
- Works jointly with R&D team to improve existing or develop new measuring instruments. Serves as interface between research teams and production teams.
- Applies advanced mathematical and engineering knowledge (measurement science, mathematics, physics and engineering) to develop methods for analysis, and conducts calibration of devices and instrumentation, as follows:
- Identifies and utilizes appropriate test and measurement procedures
- Recommends calibration standards and test equipment
- Writes or assists in the development of test plans and test procedures
- Uses statistics to analyze measurement standards and processes
- Analyzes and solves calibration problems
- Performs corrective actions to address identified measurement problems
- Evaluates new calibration methods and procedures based on analysis of data
- Maintains calibration laboratory and/or quality systems.
- Maintains responsibility for the following instruments, plus others as needed: microbalances, 3-D non contact measuring devices, color analysis measuring devices, and spectral analysis measuring devices.
- Maintains responsibility for development of maintenance and calibration schedules and corresponding tests, as well as management of related documentation.
- Maintains responsibility to ensure that laboratory instrumentation at multiple locations is properly calibrated and on-schedule to comply with established guidelines.
- Maintains responsibility for a quality management system and its development, documentation, and implementation to domestic and international requirements.
- Troubleshoots and repairs malfunctioning laboratory equipment as necessary to maintain critical workflows; and performs routine calibration and maintenance on a variety of complex analytical equipment and instrumentation.
- Completes other assigned test-related tasks.
- Keeps updated on knowledge of new technologies, processes and methods.
- Travels domestically and/or globally using commercial transportation resources.
- Communicates effectively, gets along with coworkers and management, and deals with others effectively and professionally under pressure.
- Supervises staff as it relates to test and measurement procedures and techniques.
Bachelor’s degree from four year college or university in Engineering or related field; Master’s degree preferred; and two to three years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Description of Success Factors:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Knowledge of appropriate steps to analytical problem solving.
- Knowledge of research and data gathering methods.
- Knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills complemented with good listening skills.
- Proficiency in LabView and or 3-d design techniques desirable.
- Identifies magnitude of error sources contributing to uncertainty of results to determine reliability of measurement process in quantitative terms;
- Redesigns or adjusts measurement capability to minimize errors;
- Develops calibration methods and techniques based on principles of measurement science, technical analysis of measurement problems, and accuracy and precision requirements;
- Directs engineering, quality, and laboratory personnel in design, manufacture, evaluation, and calibration of measurement standards, instruments, and test systems to ensure selection of approved instrumentation;
- Advises others on methods of resolving measurement problems and exchanges information with other metrology personnel through participation in government and industrial standardization committees and professional societies.
- Ability to develop methods for analysis and conduct calibration of devices and instrumentation.
- Ability to adhere to project and task schedules.
- Develops and evaluates calibration systems that measure characteristics of objects, substances, or phenomena, such as length, mass, time, temperature, electric current, luminous intensity, and derived units of physical or chemical measure;
About the Author
- Trade Shows
- Industry Events
- Industry Outreach
- GIA Knowledge Seminars
- GIA Jewellery Career Fair
- Trade Education Seminars
- Retail Sales Associate Training
- Consumer Education Seminars
- Panel Discussions
- Consumer Connect