DIAMOND GRADING LAB CLASS (5 Days)
- Grade diamonds as per GIA's grading standards for Colour, Clarity, Cut & Carat Weight
- Learn to grade diamonds with the aid of a 10x loupe as per market practice
- Learn about diamond treatments for colour and clarity, such as HPHT (High Pressure High Temperature), coating, irradiation, fracture-filling, and laser drilling
- Learn and identify common diamond look-alikes (simulants) such as laboratory-grown moissanite, cubic zirconia, zircon, laboratory-grown rutile, ST (Strontium Titanate), GGG (Gadolinium Gallium Garnet), and YAG (Yttrium Aluminum Garnet)
- Learn about laboratory-grown diamonds (man-made and lab-grown diamonds)
COLORED STONE GRADING LAB CLASS (3 Days)
- Grade coloured stones using GIA's grading standards for Colour, Clarity, and Cut quality.
- Learn to describe a gemstone's colour in terms of hue, tone, and saturation.
- Learn to judge gem quality factors.
- Learn about the relationship between light and colour.
- Develop your colour memory.
GEM IDENTIFICATION LAB CLASS (5 Days)
- Understanding accurate gem-testing procedures and techniques
- Studying the latest gem treatments available in the market today
- Practicing identification of gemstones with the aid of a 10x loupe, microscope, refractometer, polariscope, dichroscope, and spectroscope
- Learning to identify natural gemstones, imitations, and laboratory-grown stones
PEARL GRADING LAB CLASS (1 Day)
- Learn to determine and evaluate the quality of cultured pearls such as Akoya, Freshwater, South Sea, and Tahitian pearls
- Learn GIA's 7 Pearl Value Factors: Size, Shape, Colour, Lustre, Surface Quality, Nacre Quality, and Matching
Established in 1931, GIA protects the public through gemmological research, education, impartial gem identification and grading services, and instrument development. The world’s foremost authority in gemmology and creator of the 4Cs, GIA sets the standard for determining the quality of diamonds and performs research-based identification of coloured gems and pearls. All of GIA's activities are governed by its mission to serve the public. Learn More