- Established in 1931, GIA is the world’s foremost authority in gemmology. Present in 13 countries, with 7 campuses, 4 research centres, and 9 grading laboratories, GIA grades and identifies some of the world’s most important gemstones.
- GIA is a nonprofit institution dedicated to continuous education and research in the field of gems and jewellery.
- GIA’s mission is to ensure the public trust in gems and jewellery by upholding the highest standards of integrity, academics, science and professionalism.
- GIA created global standards to accurately determine the quality of diamonds (4Cs – Color, Clarity, Cutand Carat Weight), coloured stones and pearls (7 Pearl Value Factors™ - Size, Shape, Colour, Nacre, Lustre, Surface and Matching).
The Jewelry Design course has influenced me to develop my future in jewellery designing. We learnt a lot in detail.
Jewelry Design Certificate, Mumbai
JEWELRY DESIGN CERTIFICATE
In this intensive nine-week course, instructors teach creative and technical skills needed to begin a career as a custom jewellery designer. Jewellery design theory helps students acquire a working knowledge of jewellery artistry. Skills covered include illustrating the shape, form and texture of metal; working with drafting tools; and rendering yellow and white metals, as well as a range of faceted and cabochon gemstones and pearls. Instructors show how to illustrate rings in different views and how to keep design ideas flowing. At the completion of this course, you will have a hand-developed portfolio of your work and a digital copy to show prospective employers and clients.
THE JEWELRY DESIGN COURSE COVERS
- Learning rendering for yellow and white metals, as well as faceted and cabochon gemstones and pearls
- Illustrating rings and other pieces of jewellery
- Learning about sources for jewellery design inspiration and developing motifs to create jewellery objects
- Rendering jewellery designs using drafting tools for display as a participant in the final class design exhibition
- Creating a portfolio of class projects and custom designs that is ready for presentation to potential clients and employers
POSSIBLE CAREER PATHS
- Jewellery Designer
- Jewellery Manufacturer
- Custom Designer
- Hand Renderer
- Jewellery Business Owner
- Sales Associate
- Any individual aspiring for a career in the gems and jewellery industry
Here are some of the topics covered in the Jewelry Design Program.
illustrate the shape and
texture of metal.