Established in 1931, GIA is considered the world’s foremost authority in gemmology. Present in 13 countries, with 10 campuses, 4 research centres and 9 grading laboratories, GIA grades and identifies some of the world’s most important diamonds, coloured stones and pearls.
- GIA is a nonprofit institute dedicated to continuous education and research in the field of gems and jewellery.
- GIA’s mission is to ensure the public’s trust in gems and jewellery by upholding the highest standards of integrity, academics, science and professionalism.
- GIA created global standards to accurately determine the quality of diamonds (4Cs – Colour, Clarity, Cut, and Carat Weight), coloured stones and pearls (7 Pearl Value Factors™ - Size, Shape, Colour, Nacre, Lustre, Surface and Matching).
Introduction to Merchandising
The Introduction to Merchandising course will present topics surrounding the planning, development and implementation of a strategy to sell products that meet sales and profit targets. Participants will learn merchandising concepts and practises important for long term success in the gem and jewellery industry.
During the Planning and Development of a Strategy segment, participants will :
- Develop an understanding of the domestic Indian jewellery marketplace and target markets
- Learn how to choose a market position and appropriately target customers for the same
- Learn about relevant product assortment development, planning and marketing
During the Selling Products that Deliver on Sales & Profit Targets segment, participants will :
- Learn budgeting and forecasting concepts
- Learn how to develop category and point plans
- Learn how to make manufacturing or buying decisions
- Learn the concepts of inventory management (including sales and profit criteria)
- Learn how to use visual merchandising strategies to maximise sales process